Oct 3, 2014

Job security

At the age of 26, I wouldn't dare to expect a job security. In my opinion, your 20s should be the era which you should try everything, say yes to each and every opportunity. Then only settle for the best.

And the best usually come later... much later.

Where am I now? Nothing near the best, but good enough. But which the current situation of the Company I'm working with, I'd say yes to every job interview I come across. I wanna know how the market values me, where I stand and how much I can bargain for.

That being said, I went for an interview today. It was for a position similar to what I am at now, but with a retail company, known to many in KL.

I arrived half an hour early, just like any other interviews. It has its own block among other shop-houses. The parking was horrendous. I greeted the receptionist, she was pleasant. She gave me a form to fill and walked me to the meeting room. The interview was supposed to be at 11.30 am but the interview, the Head of Legal and Corp Affairs came 10 minutes later. I suppose it was a casual Friday since she was wearing a long sleeve t-shirt and jeans.

Hack. I thought I would be the *slackiest* (I know it's not a word). 

Let me cut it short, like the interview, it was short. I explained my current job and my previous work in practice. I would say I took up the questioning role in this scene. The interviewer said that the main agreements are Franchising and Tenancy Agreements and my job would vary from opening file, letter writing and photocopying stuff. In my head, I was asking her "Are you looking for a Legal Executive or a Secretary?"

I was not impressed. BUT, I was impressed by how generous the company offered me.

Result : She was ready to offer the job but with immediate notice.
Problem : My company needs a 3 months resignation notice.
Verdict: NO! LIKE A BIG NO!

If you know me, you would know I wouldn't necessarily go for the money. I enjoy working with my present company but since the infamous 2 incidents had led this flag barrier down, I would have to save my big ass and preempt my future.

Hoping for the best!


No comments:

Post a Comment